So dear readers it is now Day 8!! Yes, DAY 8!!! Trust me when I say that this is a really big thing for me. Eight days without a drop of alcohol poisoning my system is the longest booze free period that I have had in almost 10 years. I thought I would list some of the benefits that I am already seeing after what is, after all, only a short period in the scheme of things.
- Money!! Yes money!! My sober today app tells me that I have already saved £180 already!! That is fucking insane. I could weep for the amount of money that has been wasted on that vile shit that we call ‘having a cheeky beer’
- Sleep – after a couple of days my sleep settled down and I am having the best sleep that I have had in bloody years!
- Freedom – This is probably the most important of all. No longer is my life being controlled by when I can poison myself next. I was talking to my darling wife yesterday and telling her about a time when we were in the supermarket on a Sunday. We were food shopping and she was spending longer than I deemed reasonable to choose an item. All I could think was ‘this is my drinking time that you’re wasting!’ What a selfish bastard I was being. Honestly friends that is not the person that I really am. This is what I made myself into.
- Memory – do you know what I can actually remember the plot of programmes on TV from one night to the next. Makes it so much more enjoyable actually knowing what the fuck is going on 🙂
- Weight – And just as a side benefit I have lost nearly 5lbs this week which is nearly 2.5kgs for my European friends.